The Daily Dose by The Queen Mum

Monday, June 26, 2006

Sucking Air

I'm going to step upon my soapbox for a minute or two and scream at the top of my lungs because, apparently, some parents just don't get it, or just don't care. I'm talking about smoking with kids in the car. HELLO? Do some people still not believe in second-hand smoke and it's effects? I'd love for you to talk about that to my friend who never smoked but got lung cancer...but he's dead. Oh I know...lots of things cause lung cancer. But when your spouse smokes like a chimney, you don't, and you get it. Hmmm? I wonder how that came about?

It makes me want to scream bad words when I see someone driving around with kids in the car and smoke is pouring out the very small crack they've left by rolling the window slightly down. Oh, and even nicer is the sure sign they do this all the time, that layer of grime on the windows. "Um hi...that's coating your kids' lungs as well as your windows."
Of course the kids are strapped in to car seats and booster seats. They want to keep them safe you know. (For crimany sake)

No, I'm not claiming to be a perfect mom. I do stupid stuff all the time. Like lose my kids. Well, mostly just the baby. He's re-training me as I've forgotten how fast an experienced crawler can get away, and how easily they can get into very small spaces that you've forgotten about. Like when he got stuck under the bed. I was putting laundry in my dresser and he was behind me. Then, suddenly, he was not. Poof. He simply vanished. And it's not like he can answer me when I call his name.
And last week, when he learned to pull down the baby gate, very quietly too I might add. He hustled up the stairs, into the big boys' room, and up the slide to the top bunk. Oh yes...the slide, another thing I didn't know he could do. Monster.

So we're all a little sleep-deprived and fuzzy-headed some days, and therefore we unintentionally enable the little one's to get into a little trouble. Go get a coffee, or stick on the patch to wake yourself up. Give your kids a breath of fresh air.

Oh crap...baby is gone. Bye! ;)

4 Comments:

  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! I would like to join you on that soap box regarding sh smoke. What a crime to subject innocent, 'clean'-lunged children to such toxins....

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger Mall Worker said…

    Preach it! That kind of crap really boils my blood. I have the same kind of rage over parents who smoke in the house too. Its not quite the confined space as a car, but I think its just as bad!

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Queen Mum said…

    I'm glad I'm not the only one freakishly protective about other peoples kids in this instance. Thanks ladies!

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can do ya one better! Ever seen a mom put her baby down after breastfeeding and then light up! Ridiculous!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home